Fall Projects

Fall Projects

I know, I know…we haven’t posted in a loooong time.  When I sat down to write this post I wasn’t sure what I was going to write about because I didn’t think we had worked on many projects around the boat.  I recently bought an Aeropress coffee maker and was going to write about that.  Then I started making a list of the projects we’ve recently finished and it seems we have been busy; much busier than I thought. (more…)

Old Sea Hood

Hood winked

Back in early June I removed the dilapidated old sea hood in order to fix and finish the companionway hatch.  Since I’m having so much fun working with fiberglass and resins lately, I figured now would be a great time to build a new hatch turtle.  Ugh….

(more…)

Core Values

Last summer we peeled up all the teak decking and filled about a thousand screw holes in the fiberglass skin with epoxy.  We knew we had some serious moisture issues in the core material and would eventually need to address the problem. “Eventually” finally came last week. (more…)

Back it up

Time to get the cleats reinstalled on the boat.  Earlier this year when we tore up the teak decking I had to make up some new wood blocks to replace the old ones that go between the cleats and the fiberglass.  Those blocks were epoxied to the deck, and I finally got them primed and painted.

(more…)

Get a grip

Seems like it’s taken forever to get to this point but we finally got the non-skid rolled in the cockpit last weekend.   I’m not sure why I’ve had such a hard time assembling my thoughts into written word lately.  KiwiGrip has been done for a week and I can’t think of anything to say about it.

(more…)

First coat of primer

Yesterday I got the first coat of epoxy primer laid down inside the cockpit.  I’ve never worked with this kind of “paint” before, but once everything was wiped down & cleaned it went pretty smoothly (no pun intended).

(more…)

Sanding the cockpit

I finally got everything faired smooth (I think) inside of the new coaming extensions on Friday.  I figure at this point just shoot for pretty smooth.  This weekend Jeni and I fired up the sanders and vacuums and went to town doing what we love to do…

(more…)

A bigger cockpit

Thursday it rained the better part of the morning, so filling and fairing fiberglass was out of the question.  I decided it was finally time to pull the steering pedestal assembly and get it out of the way.  I need to sand and paint inside the cockpit well and it’ll be a lot easier to do without having to work around it.

(more…)

Put a lid on it (part deux)

Cockpit work has been slowly progressing, but it’s a pain in the arse.  Sand, vacuum, acetone wipe, and fill with thickened epoxy.  Story of my life lately, and I’m getting a little bored with it.

(more…)

Dear Gougeon Brothers…

I’m pissed.  As you probably already know, I’m in the midst of mixing mad quantities of epoxy resin, hardener, and thickeners on my current cockpit project.  I have but one beef, and decided to take it to Sailing Anarchy for some creative input.  Here’s my post, word for word:

(more…)

Six10 in the morning

I’ve been working with 2-part epoxy for quite a few years now.  If memory serves, I think my first experience was the cylinder head repair on my 327 Chevy racing motor when I was 17 years old.  My Dad showed me how to use JB Weld to fill a crack between two valve seats, and that repair served me well for many years.

(more…)

  • 1
  • 2