New Chainplates – Not as Hard as We Expected

We finally finished installing the new chainplates!  We’ve been dreading this project since Day 1.  What we thought was going to be a huge, fiberglassy mess inside the boat turned out to be a small fiberglassy mess inside the boat.  With two of us working together, one on the Fein Multimaster and one on the vacuum, we were able to cut out the old chainplate knee-blocks fairly easily.  The scary part was securing the rig while taking it apart at the same time. (more…)

Old Sea Hood

Hood winked

Back in early June I removed the dilapidated old sea hood in order to fix and finish the companionway hatch.  Since I’m having so much fun working with fiberglass and resins lately, I figured now would be a great time to build a new hatch turtle.  Ugh….

(more…)

Core Values

Last summer we peeled up all the teak decking and filled about a thousand screw holes in the fiberglass skin with epoxy.  We knew we had some serious moisture issues in the core material and would eventually need to address the problem. “Eventually” finally came last week. (more…)

First coat of primer

Yesterday I got the first coat of epoxy primer laid down inside the cockpit.  I’ve never worked with this kind of “paint” before, but once everything was wiped down & cleaned it went pretty smoothly (no pun intended).

(more…)

Sanding the cockpit

I finally got everything faired smooth (I think) inside of the new coaming extensions on Friday.  I figure at this point just shoot for pretty smooth.  This weekend Jeni and I fired up the sanders and vacuums and went to town doing what we love to do…

(more…)

A bigger cockpit

Thursday it rained the better part of the morning, so filling and fairing fiberglass was out of the question.  I decided it was finally time to pull the steering pedestal assembly and get it out of the way.  I need to sand and paint inside the cockpit well and it’ll be a lot easier to do without having to work around it.

(more…)

Put a lid on it (part deux)

Cockpit work has been slowly progressing, but it’s a pain in the arse.  Sand, vacuum, acetone wipe, and fill with thickened epoxy.  Story of my life lately, and I’m getting a little bored with it.

(more…)

Dear Gougeon Brothers…

I’m pissed.  As you probably already know, I’m in the midst of mixing mad quantities of epoxy resin, hardener, and thickeners on my current cockpit project.  I have but one beef, and decided to take it to Sailing Anarchy for some creative input.  Here’s my post, word for word:

(more…)

Six10 in the morning

I’ve been working with 2-part epoxy for quite a few years now.  If memory serves, I think my first experience was the cylinder head repair on my 327 Chevy racing motor when I was 17 years old.  My Dad showed me how to use JB Weld to fill a crack between two valve seats, and that repair served me well for many years.

(more…)

  • 1
  • 2