These old boats have a lot of teak trim. Someone took absolutely no time to take care of ours. Mud-brown Cetol has been slathered all over the place. The one benefit of the old Cetol is it’s so thick it covers all the nicks, gouges and holes. That’s right, I found some holes that were totally invisible until I removed the Cetol. 2014 was the “Summer of Scraping” which turned into the “Fall of Forgotten Projects” and the “Winter of My Discontent” (with myself for not finishing the teak project). But it was the dawn of a new day in 2015 when I decided to complete the blasted teak project once and for all (well, not really, because there is constant maintenance with teak).
After everything was scraped free of Cetol and sanded, Rich repaired the dings, bungs, and gouges. Then we sat on our hands wondering what to use on the teak. We decided on Cetol Natural with the Gloss coat over the top. Rich applied it to the boom gallows and the companionway hatch. It looked ok, but was a pain to apply because we could only do one coat a day and it felt tacky for weeks. Back to Googling teak treatments where I stumbled on a Pacific Seacraft blog where they described using Star Brite Teak Oil and Sealer. They had used Cetol first and it promptly went to shit in the brutal Mexico sun so they had to scrape it all off. They claimed the Star Brite Teak Oil and Sealer was easy to apply and lasted about six months in the tropics and it never need to be scraped off. If we didn’t like it, we could either let it fade away over several months, or we could use a teak cleaner to remove it. No scraping? Sold!
One warm summer weekend, we woke up early and started to apply the teak oil and sealer using small foam brushes. Some of the small trim on the cabin top was hard to cut in so we masked off part of it plus a little masking in the cockpit, but that was the only masking we had to do. It took Rich and I about two hours to put the first coat on the entire boat. We thought about applying a second coat but decided to wait to see how long this stuff lasted.
At the end of the summer it was still holding up fine, but I put another two coats on everything in time for the winter weather. I had to clean the teak, let it dry then apply the sealer. Start to finish took me about six hours. So far it has held up great. Water beads off nicely. The only complaint is where we step on the toe rail gets a bit grimy and when I scrub it some of the sealer comes off so I have to apply a thin coat on that area periodically.
It took about two pints and six foam brushes to do the first coat and less than a pint to do the second two coats. Application and cleanup is a breeze (I just throw the foam brushes out). I really dig this stuff.