So here’s the catch…

The Corian galley tops have been installed since August (well, mostly installed) but up until a week or so ago we’ve been lifting the fridge lids by a flimsy strip of blue painter’s tape.  Every few days someone (not pointing fingers) tears the tape, and then I have to replace it.  My penitence, if you will, for dragging heels on the getting the  catches installed.

0

I’ve had the latching hardware for ages, but I’ve seriously been dreading doing them because I knew what a pain in the ass it was going to be.  I wanted something with a positive latching mechanism because I don’t want things to come flying out if it gets a little bumpy.  I also wanted them inlayed flush with the surface for aesthetics reasons.  Problem is that the way I built and insulated the insides of the lids didn’t leave me a lot of options as far as hardware goes.

0

I finally settled on Perko latching ring pulls, but needed to make a router template similar to the one I used to recess the hinges.  Corian is very brittle and can chip and crack during the machining process, so I wanted to be certain to not mess up the final product.  Six different practice cuts later I finally ended up with something that fit correctly.    Also, Corian doesn’t get along well with wood screws, so everything had to be drilled and through-bolted with tiny little nuts and bolts.

0

0

One cool thing about finally getting pulls on the lids (besides the obvious reasons) is that I had a chance to play with the GoPro my parents got us for christmas.  I set it up to do a time-lapse and then let it run ’til the battery died.

Making the step up
Another project shelved